Friday, August 7, 2015

Don't Tell Mama (at The Washington Post)

No comments:

“I’m doing all this to save your ass, when what I really want to do is drop you on it!”
My 3-year-old is standing in our kitchen doorway, and she’s exasperated. She’s pretending to be Jennifer Grey in Dirty Dancing, in the scene when Baby snaps at Johnny while he teaches her to dance. Frances and Johnny are working on a deadline. They are sweaty and exhausted, and their friend is having a dangerous secret medical procedure. Also, they are attracted to each other. Tension fills the scene like humidity on a summer day.
My toddler hasn’t even a subliminal awareness of the reasons for the scene’s tension, much less of the tension itself. But she has a vague understanding of grown-up discussions and passions playing out on the screen, and I’m fine with that.
Please head over to the The Washington Post for more!




No comments:

Powered By Blogger | Design by Genesis Awesome | Blogger Template by Lord HTML